2019 Youth Leadership Summit
The Youth Leadership Summit (YLS) helps GEAR UP high school students identify and maximize their leadership skills, create a national network of peers, and receive the tools and training to make positive change happen in their communities and around the world.
Over 3.5 days, the YLS enhances participants’ ability to speak confidently, work effectively in teams, and builds their capacity to lead. The program culminates with a student-led presentation to the NCCEP/GEAR UP Annual Conference attendees.
Click here for the Nomination Form
Each school will nominate one female and one male student to apply for this opportunity. As a school, you are welcome to go about this process in a way that works best for you. Here are some things you can do to select your female and male student:
- Competitive application process that allows any GUI student at your school that you use to identify you top female and male candidate.
- Informal process where you talk to the top female and male student you think would best benefit from this opportunity.
Process for the Youth Leadership Summit Application:
- March 6: Nominations are due and need to be completed online.
- March 22: Student applications are due and need to be completed online.
- TBD: GEAR UP Iowa staff will select the top candidates to have a brief Zoom interview. Only the top candidates will participate in this step.
- April 12: Students will be notified about the status of their application.
- April 19: Any final paperwork for YLS is due.